LINE UP NOTES
Japan vs USMNT
September 23, 2022
Dusseldorf Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany
Pre-Game Coverage: 8 a.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN+; 8:20 a.m. ET at UniMás, TUDN
Kick-off: 8:26 am ET on ESPN2, ESPN+, UniMás, TUDN
Social media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; American football on facebook The American Football App
USMNT Today’s Starting XI vs. Japan: 1-Matt Turner, 2-Sergiño Dest, 3-Walker Zimmerman (capt.), 4-Tyler Adams, 5-Aaron Long, 6-Sam Vines, 8-Weston McKennie, 9-Jesús Ferreira, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 14 -Luca de la Torre, 21-Gio Reyna
Substitutes: 18-Ethan Horvath, 25-Sean Johnson, 7-Paul Arriola, 12-Erik Palmer-Brown, 13-Jordan Morris, 15-Johnny Cardoso, 16-Mark McKenzie, 17-Malik Tillman, 19-Ricardo Pepi, 20 -Reggie Cannon, 22-DeAndre Yedlin, 23-Kellin Acosta, 24-Josh Sargent, 26-Joe Scally
- USMNT Bib Numbers (including this race): Weston McKennie (36), Walker Zimmerman (32), Tyler Adams (31), Aaron Long (28), Brenden Aaronson (23), Matt Turner (19), Sergiño Dest (18), Jesus Ferreira (14), Gio Reyna (13), Luca de la Torre (12), Sam Vines (9)
- The current starting eleven has an average age of 24 years, 143 days and an average number of caps of 20.
- Striker Gio Reyna makes his first international start in over a year, most recently in a 0-0 draw in El Salvador to open qualifying for the 2022 FIFA World Cup on September 2, 2021. Reyna wears the number shirt today 21, the same number his father Claudio wore a total of 42 times for the USMNT, including at the 1998 World Cup.
- Defender Sam Vines makes his first USMNT appearance since the Concacaf Gold Cup final against Mexico on August 1, 2021 and earns his first start since the semi-final against Qatar on July 29, 2021. Thanks to that appearance against the hosts of this year’s World Cup Vines is the only USMNT starter to have played against opposition from the Asian Football Confederation.
- After missing both the March and June international windows, defender Sergiño Dest makes his first appearance since the January 30 World Cup qualifier in Canada.
- Walker Zimmerman captains the side for the sixth time today.
- Tyler Adams, Luca de la Torre and Weston McKennie start together in midfield for the first time today.
- The attackers of Brenden Aaronson, Jesús Ferreira and Gio Reyna also start together for the first time today.
- Jesús Ferreira leads all USMNT players with five goals in eight games in 2022.
- Aaron Long and Walker Zimmerman Team Up in Central Defense for the 10e time. The USMNT is 7-1-1 when the veteran duo are on the backline together.
- Three starters have represented clubs here in Germany. Gio Reyna has played for Borussia Dortmund since 2019, Weston McKennie played for Schalke from 2017-2020 and Tyler Adams represented RB Leipzig from 2019-2022.
- Should he come in tonight’s game, midfielder Kellyn Acosta will take on his father and grandmother’s native country.
- Christian Pulisic is out today due to a tap he sustained in training earlier this week. He will be judged day by day on his availability to play against Saudi Arabia on September 27 in Murcia, Spain.
- The USMNT will dress 25 players, while Japan will dress 26 for today’s game. Six substitutions are allowed at three different times. The break does not count as a changeover moment.
- The USMNT is all-time 1-1-0 against Japan. The Samurai Blue won the first meeting, a 3-1 victory on March 14, 1993 in Tokyo. The US won the final meeting, achieving a 3-2 result on February 10, 2006 in San Francisco.
- The USMNT is 36-9-9 in 54 games under Gregg Berhalter.
- Today’s game marks the team’s third friendly under Berhalter. The US took a 6-2 win over Panama on November 16, 2020 and a 4-1 win over Jamaica on March 25, 2021. Both matches were played in Wiener Neustadt, Austria.
- Felix Zwayer from Germany is the referee for tonight’s game. This is the first time he has led a USMNT competition.